Emergency School Closings
Student and staff safety is our highest priority
In the event of possible school closing or delayed start, parents may call the district information line at 512-393-6700 for updated information.
The following information is being provided to allow parents and community members in the San Marcos Consolidated Independent School District to understand the process District administrators follow when they are making a decision to delay or close school because of inclement weather. The decision to delay or cancel classes is one that is not taken lightly, as the District understands that changing the time school starts or closing schools altogether disrupts not only District operations, but also the normal routine of parents.
If school is called off, the school day must be made up later in the year on one of the dates designated as “Bad Weather Make-up Day.”
Note: SMCISD uses a Mass Notification Service to call all guardians in the event of an emergency or school closing/delay. If you do not receive a telephone notification, email, text, etc. you can safely assume that the schedule is proceeding normally, and that a delay or cancellation has not been put into place. Parents should make decisions based on their circumstances, and stay safe.
Procedures for Closing/Delaying School
In the event of inclement weather conditions endemic to the San Marcos area such as flooding or ice conditions, District officials have to determine if it is in the best interest of students and staff to either delay or cancel school. The following procedures are followed to make that determination:
- District officials will call the San Marcos police department and Hays County sheriff’s department for road conditions and related information.
- District officials will travel area roads and bridges to evaluate their condition.
- If conditions are questionable, the Director of Transportation will contact the appropriate District official by 5:30 a.m. to relay the condition of roads, bridges, etc..
- The Superintendent of Schools will be briefed and a decision will be made by 5:45 a.m. to either delay opening of schools or cancel classes. A delayed opening means classes will start at 10:00 a.m.
- Any decision made will be relayed to the District’s Public Information Officer who will then contact local TV and radio stations.
Emergency Information Sources
In the event of circumstances which may require cancellation of classes or early release, the following media outlets are notified by the District and will have that information available.
News 8 - Austin
KVUE 10 & 24 - ABC Austin
KTBC Fox 7 - Austin
KEYE 42 - CBS- Austin
KXAN 36 - NBC Austin
NBC - 4 San Antonio
KENS 5 - CBS San Antonio
KSAT 12 - ABC San Antonio
FOX 29 - San Antonio
KABB - TV Univision 62
KLBJ 93.7 FM
KKMJ 95.5 FM
KTSW-University 89.9 FM WOAI
KNBT 92.1 FM
KHFI 96.7 FM
KGNB 1420.0 AM
KVET 98.1 FM