Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
- Self-Awareness-The ability to accurately recognize one’s emotions and thoughts and their influence on behavior.
- Self-management: The ability to regulate one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations.
- Social awareness: The ability to take the perspective of and empathize with others from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Relationship skills: The ability to establish and maintain healthy and rewarding relationships with diverse individuals and groups.
- Responsible decision-making: The ability to make constructive and respectful choices about personal behavior and social interactions.
www.casel.org (content source)