How Do I Enroll My Child in School?
- All children who are five years of age or over, but under 21 years of age on or before the first day of September and who reside within the San Marcos CISD may attend San Marcos CISD schools.
- A minor student residing in the District but whose parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control under a court order does not reside in the District shall present a Power of Attorney assigning responsibility for the student in all school-related matters to an adult resident of the District.
- Students entering a District school from accredited public, private, or parochial schools after grade 1 shall provide evidence of prior schooling outside the District. They shall be placed initially at the grade level reached elsewhere, pending observation by the classroom teacher, guidance personnel, and the principal. On the basis of these observations and results of tests that may be administered by appropriate District personnel, the principal shall determine the final grade placement.
- "Accredited" shall be defined as accreditation by TEA, an equivalent agency from another state, or an accrediting association recognized by the Commissioner of Education.
- Students entering a District school from non-accredited public, private, or parochial schools, including homeschools, shall be placed initially at the discretion of the principal, pending observation by classroom teachers, guidance personnel, and the principal. Criteria for placement may include:
- Scores on achievement tests, which may be administered by appropriate District personnel.
- Recommendation of the sending school.
- Prior academic record.
- Chronological age and social and emotional development of the student.
- Other criteria deemed appropriate by the principal.
- The District shall validate high school credit for courses of transfer students from non-accredited public, private, or parochial schools by testing or by other evidence that the courses meet State Board requirements and standards.
Last Modified on January 27, 2021